Thursday, July 8, 2010

Garden

For a second year in a row we have bought two plots at our local community garden. Last year was very easy as it was the first year for the community garden -thats right we got in on the grass roots level!- and everything was nicely tilled and we were the first to own our two plots. This second year was not as easy, for reasons unbeknownst to us we didn't get our two spots back, even though we requested them, and instead picked two plots right across the aisle, when we arrived in mid-March to look at our newly assigned plot we were completely dismayed because the owners of the plot last season had dug huge holes for some reason for their tomato plants. We quickly realized these plots were going to take a lot of back breaking work, not to mention the water spicket for these plots was going to be shared with others (last season we had a great system of soaker hoses on a timer so we could stop by in the morning turn the timer for 15 minutes and head out for other things knowing that the plants were nicely watered - these plots would not allow for this system). Thankfully we were able to talk to Walt, the original organizer and planner of our community garden and get two different plots that had a conveniently place spicket right in between them (which we could use for our own use and not feel bad about it).

Now here in the Pacific Northwest we have had an extremely cold summer, some of the plants that I started bright and early (because I had ants in my pants getting so excited for the gardening season to get started) had to be brave in the face of some very horrible cold weather. It completely killed some of the seedlings that I had grown oh so preciously in the house, and then some of the seeds that I just planted straight into the soil never even had a chance to germinate. Zucchini, sugar snaps, bush beans, snow pea, edamame, corn, sunflowers, lemon cucumbers all died. I had a good pout, believe you me!

However my San Marzano Roma tomatoes looked worse for the wear, and virtually on the verge of dying, thankfully they came back strong, my potatoes and onions were fine. And part of the reason that I love the community garden is that they have set up a system with some of the big box stores that when their plant stock is past it's "expiration date" they pass them off to us. Sometimes you come to the garden and see our picnic table loaded down with FREE tomato, lettuce, squash, etc.. to take and use at your leisure. I took a flat of lettuces that I actually planted on our back patio (harder to keep the bugs off at the garden, and easier to pick right before dinner too!) and I also this year took a HUGE amount something like 8 plants of heirloom tomatoes (honestly have you ever met a tomato that you didn't like? Well, I know I haven't!)

I have realized after I just spent another whopping $12.00 that I sometimes don't know where to stop. I keep visiting my garden every morning before it gets too warm and think, I am not using this space to it's full potential. Right now it looks barren. I keep buying more (today I bought 4 plants of Brussels sprouts!). Earlier in the week, as I previously mentioned, I couldn't say no when I picked up my CSA bag to the free veggies they were handing out. I planted more zucchini, possibly a pumpkin or melon, and a summer squash (they all look relatively similar and unfortunately didn't come with any tags so it will be a surprise when they start baring fruit) I have a feeling that now is the time that I really do indeed need to stop. Because if this warm weather continues, in a few weeks I am not going to be able to walk down my rows! Hopefully they will be filled with huge, veg and fruit plants.
 (pictures to come soon, I just have to remember to bring my camera to the garden)

***Get ready for some unique dinner menus and recipes based on what is coming both from my garden and CSA bag!***

1 comment:

  1. Amazing! I get great pleasure from picking the cherry tomatoes off the plants on my back porch, and eating the kale before the bugs do.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails