Saturday, July 24, 2010

Homemade Caramel Corn

My husband loves caramel corn, so when I was sitting outside enjoying the hot summer sun reading a magazine while my daughter runs willy nilly in her swimsuit and I come across a simple recipe for it I say out loud, "Oh hunny a recipe for caramel corn!" My husband then responds and says that sounds like it would be a great snack right now. I have never actually made it before but it can't be that hard right? Well I can't tell if this is a curse or a blessing, it wasn't hard, and I have a feeling my husband is going to be asking for it ALL the time!

Homemade Caramel Corn
10 cups popped corn (2/3cup give or take unpopped)
1 1/2 cups sugar
1. Get your sugar is a sauce pan on medium high heat and DO NOT STIR IT! You can move the pot around a little but for the most part just leave it alone and watch it carefully.
2. Get your popcorn popping while keeping an eye on your caramel.
3. Get a piece of parchment paper on your counter to set the finish product out for cooling. Also see if you can get as many of the unpopped kernels out of the popcorn as possible so you don't break a tooth later!
4. Keep watching that caramel, as soon as it is all melted, and not a moment too soon (you don't want it burning on you!) pour it carefully over the popped popcorn coating as evenly as you can. Then put it on the parchment paper to cool off.

** The whole process takes less than ten minutes, I promise!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Nichole --

    stopping by and following from Making Friends Monday -- I love the idea of your blog. Family dinners are important!

    Your recipes look really yummy - this one is easy. Is there anything else I need to add -- any butter or liquids? Thank you!

    Dee
    http://www.newenglandnanny.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope no liquids needed. Although I did watch a show on the cooking channel the other day where they were making a caramel sauce (which isn't the same as what you want for caramel corn, I am not sure if water would not allow it to set up crunchy...) and she did add a tablespoon or two of water to help get it going, you could try that however I didn't see that until after I made the corn. I was thinking of trying it next time to see if it helped the process along but my original recipe that I listed didn't have any liquids and it worked great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I'm your newest follower from Making Friends Monday!!! :) Great idea for a blog! We are a family of 8 and have family dinner every night! I look to forward to reading more of your recipes.

    Hope you'll come visit me soon and follow back.
    Lisa xoxo
    RaisingFutureLeaders
    http://raisingfutureleaders.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails