Monday, July 19, 2010

Slow Cooker Pulled Pork and Nectarine Coleslaw

I have done inexpensive pork shoulders in the slow cooker before for pulled pork, if you haven't tried it you MUST! Easiest is the Dr. Pepper Pulled Pork, literally a 3-4 lb pork roast (1) can of Dr Pepper, and (1) 16-18oz bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce (throw it all in the slow cooker set on low for 8 hours, shred and put on a toasted bun ~couldn't be simpler I have even done it while camping a few times) This recipe has a few more ingredients, my husband said he liked this one a bit better -little less sweet I think. We used it for dinner one day, lunch and dinner the next so it really gives you a bit of meat (we had it just as is the first time on buns, the second time on whole wheat bread in my sandwich press, and then for dinner on a grilled BBQ pizza).
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
1 yellow onion , chopped

1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup tomato paste
2 tablespoons sweet paprika
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons yellow mustard
1 1/4 teaspoons coarse salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 3-4 pound shoulder pork roast

1. Throw all ingredients into the slow cooker, make sure you flip the pork roast over a few times so it is really coated with the sauce turn on low and let go for 8 hours.
2. Once done, pull roast out and put in a big bowl, using a fork and tongs (it will be hot) shred the pork, turn the slow cooker on hot to reduce the remaining sauce, once pork is shredded put the pork back in and coat with sauce and serve on toasted buns with Hawaiian Sweet Onion chips, and dill pickles

Nectarine Coleslaw
1 head of smaller head of cabbage, shredded
1 nectarine, chopped
1/2 cup of mayo
1 tbsp white vinegar
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp celery salt
Pepper to taste
1. Mix together in a medium size bowl and let sit for 30 minutes in the fridge for ingredients to meld and serve, the nectarine is so good it adds a nice sweet/sour element.

We have been given a huge amount of cabbage this summer from our CSA so I am trying some things to shake it up a bit. This is another nod to Relish, I really can't say enough about the site I know around my family and friends when I first became a user it was all I could talk about. I have since calmed down around them-them being my family and friends, not because I like it any less but because I believed they had gotten tired of hearing me rant and rave. But know this, I am every bit as in love with this site as I have ever been. They are constantly giving me new things to cook, that I never would have tried on my own. It is helpful, yes in planning meals with its shopping lists and ease of use, but it also has a chef behind all of the recipes so even though they might sound odd; and most of the time I only make a few changes, for the most part I have gotten to the point that I completely trust their judgement. I have had enough of their meals to say, "Ok, put that in, sure!" And would you know it, it is always fantastic.
The pizza at the back in the BBQ pizza with the left over pulled pork, don't know about you but those are some good leftovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails