Monday, August 16, 2010

Slightly Spicy Sloppy Joes

So we ran out of propane last night so my original idea for tonight's dinner didn't pan out. Instead we had Sloppy Joes, local corn from one of my favorite farm stands that is unfortunately on it's way out- it needs to be eaten, and homemade coleslaw -cabbage from CSA bag.

Hold on, pregnant pause as the say, so that I can watch Anthony's show on Rome real quick.

Ok I am back.

I made up the cole slaw tonight so I thought I would share that recipe as well as the sloppy joes.
Sweet Mustard Cole Slaw
1/2 big head of cabbage
1/3 cup Mayo
1 tbsp cider vinegar
1 tbsp yellow mustard
2 tsp sugar
Salt and Pepper to Taste
1. Shred the cabbage, mix rest of ingredients in a separate bowl and then toss all together. I didn't have any nectarines but these have become my favorite thing to add to coleslaw, give it a try and tell me what you think.

Slightly Spicy Sloppy Joes
1 lb hamburger meat
1 yellow pepper, chopped
1 sweet onion, chopped
1 can Original Rotel's tomatoes with chilies
1/2 cup of ketchup, or more depending on your tastes
2 tbsp yellow mustard
2 green onions, chopped
1/2 cup cheddar cheese
4 hamburger buns

1. Saute meat, onions and peppers together. When meat is brown drain excess fat.
2. Add canned tomatoes, ketchup, and mustard let cook until thickened a bit.
3. Toast hamburger buns, top buns with meat mixture sprinkle with cheddar cheese to melt and top with green onions before finishing with the other bun.

** Now I find sloppy joes to be, well sloppy, so I usually have mine open faced and eat it with a fork (as seen in pic above) my husband however eats it as a true sandwich. To make it kid friendly, my two year old still has a hard time with "sandwiches" so I just gave her a bit of the meat with some cheese on top sans bun. By adding peppers and tomatoes into the mixture I don't feel too bad about giving it to her, and it wasn't too spicy (believe me I am a wuss, and my daughter never mentioned a word about it being, "Spicy momma!" So for those of you that like more spice get the hotter brand of tomatoes,or add red pepper flakes or saracha to make it to your taste buds but for my family it was just right!)

Added bonus, you have more than enough left over for lunch the next day. This is my husbands meal for tomorrow. Yet another reason why I am so passionate about cooking and eating at home it makes leftovers for lunch the next day so great and EASY! I love easy lunch boxes but all of mine are dirty, husband doesn't always bring them back, and this little box was found for $2.99 at Target in their summer section (I have seen them there the last two years be on the look out they are great!)

Slight nod to Relish, my favorite meal planning site for giving me some direction with this meal.

Linked to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Tuesdays At the Table, and Tasty Tuesday.

6 comments:

  1. Mmm, I love sloppy joes! We do sloppy lentils around our house too: http://lublink.org/alison/?p=138

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it's late at night (okay early morning) and I'm so hungry. It looks like you have some yummy recipes that I must try. I found you from Mingle Monday and am happily following. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a huge fan of sloppy joes...the sloppier the better! Your recipe sounds great. - www.delightfulcountrycookin.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grew up eating sloppy joe's open faced. There were too many of us kids--eight--so we just had ours on bread. We love cole slaw too--don't know why we don't have either more often. Thanks for sharing your version.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mom always did them open faced, she liked her burgers with a top bun too, I don't know why I still like my sloppy joes that way but I do! And we have had a lot of coleslaw around here because I kept on getting heads and heads of it (sometimes two a week) in our CSA bag this year and cabbage keeps so long that it has been backed up for awhile I think I might still have a whole head out in the garage fridge that needs to be eaten soon! Apart from Chinese Chopped Cabbage Salad it is the best way to eat it in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks yummy. this one is going in the loop this week. I'm your newest follower

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails