Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Chicken with Mustard Sauce,Roasted Potatoes & Green Beans

So I was fully planning on going to the store today, it was payday after all, but I had to pick up my CSA bag and I had a huge headache so ehhh, put it off till tomorrow. Do we notice a pattern? Honestly, I haven't been to the store - that I can remember- since before we went camping several weeks ago. I avoid the store like the plague (could be that it is a vicious cycle- I hate it so I don't go that often, but when I go I buy enough to last several weeks, thus the trip is over an hour long and takes a bit of physical effort to get home and so I hate it, and the cycle continues) anywho, long story short I didn't go to the store today even though I desperately needed too, I am out of Kosher salt and pepper for my pepper grinder for crying out loud! I mean it's like you cut off my right arm when I am out of that salt & pepper. As I came home I am thinking about what I have available, chicken breast and a huge amount of egg noodles. So I am thinking chicken with mustard pan sauce on top of egg noodles and then I have all these CSA veggies. What can I use the most of? Oven roasted new red potatoes, and green beans! Dinner accomplished. This is fully my recipe, pulled it out of... you know where. I know I can cook like this: but if you are like me, after a day of work a plan and a recipe is really imperative I couldn't do the type of cooking I do if I didn't have a plan and a recipe.

Chicken with Mustard Sauce
2 chicken breasts (on the larger side) butterflied
1 cup flour, seasoned with salt & pepper
olive oil
1 leek, chopped
3 tbsp parsley
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 cup chicken broth
3 tbsp butter

1. Take your thin chicken cutlets and dip them in flour, tap off any excess flour and put them in a pan with a couple of tsp of olive oil. Leave the chicken alone for about five minutes on each side to brown and almost cook through.
2. Pull chicken out of pan and tent with tin foil.
3. Put in leeks and scrape the brown bits off the bottom of the pan, they add flavor and color to the sauce! Add in broth and Dijon and whisk to incorporate fully.
4. Add butter and stir in as it melts, then put chicken back in to reheat and cook all the way through. The flour should help thicken your sauce (you could add some wonder flour to thicken but you want it semi-thin to help coat the noodles too!)

Egg noodles
3 cups dry egg noodles
pot of salted boiling water
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp parsley

1. Cook according to package directions, then strain and add butter (to keep from sticking) and parsley.
2. Put a helping of noodles on plate, then add chicken and then sauce over both to plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails