Monday, September 13, 2010

Leftover Makeover

I had leftover beef from gyros last night, a TON of CSA veggies so I decided to make a stir fry. I didn't have enough rice to have for dinner and leftovers for lunch...well I had some regular basmati which is our normal go to rice, but not enough, and then I had some brown basmati that I bought randomly when I was perusing the bulk section. I remember I was thinking about how everyone is always talking about brown rice being better for you but I had yet to find one that I actually liked. I decided to give this rice a try, and I also remembered from previous experience that brown rice can be so dry and that I read an article that talked about it taking a lot longer to cook. So I made the pot (I don't ever measure my rice and water... is that bad? I just eyeball it!) of rice and added a bit more rice to it. I then prepared all of my stir fry ingredients and checked the rice, it was even sort of ready. So even though I want to SING it's praises, because oh yes people, it is a brown rice you would LOVE! The downside though is that it takes forever to cook so be prepared.
Beef Stir Fry
1/2 lb leftover flank steak
1 onion thinly sliced
1 red pepper, sliced
1 green pepper, sliced
3 tbsp Stir Fry Sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
Cooked rice
1. Stir Fry the veggies and then add the stir fry sauce and sesame oil. Add the meat to heat through.
2. Layer rice first with some soy sauce to taste, then meat and veg on top. DONE! Super fast meal, and a great way to use leftovers!

Molly's Bento for Tuesday (I forgot to take a pic of today's lunch)! Leftover brown rice with some scallions with a little bottle of soy sauce, then some fresh sweet corn from our CSA -needs to be used!- and then on the bottom tier animal crackers, cherry tomatoes (CSA) and then Galea Melon from CSA again with some sprinkles and a pick. We will see how this goes, she generally really likes rice, she ate a lot of her dinner. The sprinkles help to draw her eye and eat more. But she has been shying away from the tomatoes lately -maybe we have ate too many this year already???



Linked to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Tuesday at the Table, & Tasty Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails