The meat in this recipe, if marinated, becomes so tender and has great flavor! I would have to say if Molly were a bit older this would be a hit, but she still is having issues with sandwiches. After making tacos last week I was reminded how we used to wrap our tacos in paper towels to keep them wrapped tightly. Well great idea, but there is a problem I don't buy paper towels. My mom mentioned wax paper, brilliant! I tried that, but she was too entranced with the wax paper and why it was on her food to actually eat it. I will keep working on it though... again I would think for 3 or 4 year olds and up this would be a great meal for the whole family. The flavors are great, not too over the top but still very Greek gyro! This recipe came from Relish, my go to meal planning site!
Prep time: 5 minutes Marinate time: 2 hours +
Cook time: 20 minutes
1 pound flank steak
1/4 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 cup plain yogurt
2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
2 tablespoons lemon juice
**You could also just buy the premade tazitki sauce!**
4 6-inch pita pockets
1 white onion , thinly sliced
1 cucumber , peeled and thinly sliced
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
2 good tomatoes (if they are on the smaller size, mine came from my garden)
1. Cut the flank steak into thin strips against the grain. (To make slicing easier, place the meat in the freezer for about 10 minutes and then slice it). Prop open a large ziptop bag and add the olive oil, oregano and salt and pepper and mix well. Add the meat slices to the bag and turn to coat. Place in the refrigerator and let marinate 2 hours or up to all day.
Preheat the oven to 250 degrees.
2. In a small bowl mix together the yogurt, dill, garlic and lemon juice and set aside.
3. Spritz the pitas with a little water, wrap in foil and place in the oven to warm. (Don't skip this step it makes the pita nice and pliable, if you don't have a spray bottle just wet your fingers and brush them over the pita)
4. Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Remove meat from bag and discard marinade. Add meat slices to pan and sauté until brown and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate and add another tablespoon of oil to the skillet. Sauté the onion until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Return the meat and any juices to the skillet and stir until heated.
5. Arrange the pita bread on plates and top with the cucumber rounds and the beef mixture. Spoon some yogurt sauce over the meat and top with feta. Fold the gyros in half and serve.
Linked to Mingle Mondays, Meet Me Monday, & Making Friends Monday.