Thursday, October 21, 2010

BEST EVER! Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken Tacos

At one of our local farmers markets our local Mexican Grocery store, and it is a big super market, has a little stall where they sell the most delicious tacos. These reminded me of those tacos! So good! And oddly very filling, we could only eat three a piece (and they are the traditional small corn tortillas). And even if you don't particularly care for soft corn tortillas you have to at least try them here it just really can't compare. And this makes a lot so we will have having them over the next week! So fresh and tasty with different textures and spices.. mmm..YUM!
Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: On high, 3 hours (or on low, 6-7 hours)
4 Chicken Breasts, boneless skinless
1 white onion, chopped divided in half
4 garlic clove(s), thinly sliced
1 cup prepared chunky salsa, plus more for serving
2 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon paprika
coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
12 small white corn tortillas
 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
1 lime cut into wedges
 [1] In slow cooker, combine chicken, 1/2 chopped onion, garlic, salsa, chili powder, paprika, salt and pepper. Cover; cook on high, 4 hours (or on low, 8 hours).
[2] Transfer chicken to a serving bowl, and shred, using two forks; moisten with cooking juices. Heat the tortillas in a dry pan on stove top about ten seconds per side and then pop into a tent of tin foil to keep warm and pliable.
[3] Top the tortillas with shredded chicken, pieces of raw chopped onion, sprinkle with cilantro, and use the juice from one wedge of lime per serving.
Linked to Family Food Fridays.

*Adapted from a Relish recipe.

8 comments:

  1. I love slow~cooker recipes... especially this time of year. So great to come home to dinner, prepared! This sounds good and I'm anxious to try it. Have a great day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm following you back now.

    PS Mom Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummy!!! I am a new follower.
    Nancy
    www.findingblessingsineverydaylife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to make this for dinner tomorrow night, looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look yummy, I love quick easy meals like this, and I bet you could use that chicken in many different ways, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was quick and easy, and the chicken we had for a few days afterward (I used four chicken breasts and I didn't think it would make as much as it did.) I ended up having some for lunch one day and then we ate a whole second dinner with crunchy tacos -they were still very good- but I was thinking that the meat would be excellent in enchiladas! Which would be a great second recipe if your husband is anything like mine, he hates leftovers most of the time and I usually have to transform it completely if I am going to pass it off again. Personally, if something is good I will eat it till it is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUM! I am always looking for some good slow cooker recipes. I am not a cilantro fan, but that looks easy enough to just not include!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a delicious looking recipe and so good for nights when you don't have a lot of time to cook.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails