Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Chili Cheese Sloppy Joes and Honey Lime Coleslaw

Oh my goodness people, I LOVE this coleslaw! I had two heads of cabbage from my CSA bag that I need to use in someway so this recipe sounded great. The other is destined for German Style Stuffed Cabbages (I am rubbing my hands together in glee, I can't wait - it's one of my favorite things!) I am going to do them in the slow cooker I think. Anywho, back to the coleslaw it has a dressing of mayonnaise, honey, and lime juice and then also some fresh cilantro. Oh it is so good! I like cabbage in general, so odds are most coleslaws I am going to like just because. The original recipe for our sloppy Joe's tonight needed a bit of something extra, so I added a traditional ingredient for sloppy Joe's, ketchup! Problem solved!
Chili Cheese Sloppy Joe's

Prep and cook time: 25 minutes
1 red onion , chopped and divided
1 pound lean ground beef
2 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons garlic, minced
1 15-ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup diced tomatoes, undrained
1/4 to 1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
4 hamburger buns
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
[1] Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add half of the onion, ground beef, chili powder and garlic.
[2] Sauté until beef is cooked through, breaking up with spoon, about 5 minutes. Add beans and tomatoes. Simmer until thickened, about 15 minutes. Mix in cilantro and season with salt and pepper.
[3] Meanwhile, place french bread on a baking sheet and warm in oven, about 10 minutes. Transfer toasts to individual plates and top with chili, cheese, and remaining chopped onions.

Honey Lime Coleslaw
Prep time: 10 minutes
1/3 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons lime juice
coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
4 cups coleslaw mix (or small to medium sized head of cabbage)
2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
[1] In a medium bowl, whisk mayonnaise, honey, lime juice and salt and pepper together in a large bowl. Toss with coleslaw mix and cilantro, chill until ready to serve.

3 comments:

  1. That looks so delicious! Wow! I wish I had the time, too much blogging Lol!

    Thanks for joining up with our hop today. I checked and I'm already following you :)

    Have a lovely day,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am now following you thanks to Thursday's Friends and Giveaways, and it would be nice if you could share the love back on my blog;)
    Also don't forget, if you need any help increasing your blog's traffic or easy blog design tips, you know where to come!
    Today we teach another useful blog tutorial, so make sure you don't miss it! Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for linking up with us today. Love that you joined us! I am now your newest follower from Thursday's Friends Cafe.

    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails