Monday, October 18, 2010

Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread

I have noticed before on my weekly menu options on Relish that they have offered desserts before but I have never fully been tempted to try them. I am not a fan, believe it or not, of pumpkin pie or anything that has those sort of quintessential "fall" flavors/spices. So I have no idea why I was tempted this time, but darn am I glad that I tried. I have sung this websites praises very vocally with friends and family and I mention it on most of my posts. A couple of years ago I was spending a good day coming up with menu plans by stealing from several "free" menu planning sites and I was just so sick of how much time and effort I wasted to put it all together. I remember just searching for a menu planning site one day when I had had enough and came across this site. Their opening page reminded me of my favorite magazine Real Simple and so I thought why not I will give it a try. That was over a year ago and I haven't regretted it sense. They have grown sense then, changed and I believe only gotten better. Granted there are times when I use their recipes and then change it to suit my tastes, and then there are times when I just think the recipe is asking me to do something totally funky and I question it but I still go with it and every time they have been spot on. So after all that if I was going to try a pumpkin bread from somewhere it might have been here and now! Wow am I glad that I did. It was relatively easy (the only reason I say that is because I made it with my kitchen aide mixer and while I was trying to do too many things at once I flipped the switch the wrong way - sped up the paddle- and slung pumpkin puree and sugar and what not all over my kitchen! I had a bit of clean up, but that was totally my blunder, the recipe was great it was myself that was an idiot!).
Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread
Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 1 hour
NOTE: this makes 3 loaves!
3 cups sugar
1 15-ounce can canned pumpkin
1 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup water
4 large eggs
3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 tablespoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 cups miniature chocolate chips (I added more chocolate chips and I think it was too much, still good but a bit much so stick with the original amount here)
1 cup chopped walnuts
3 9 x 5 aluminum loaf pans (I have never gone out and bought these before specifically to use but since this was a large batch I don't have 3 of these in metal bakeware so I went ahead and bought them... the ease of use was very nice)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
[1] Grease and flour three 9x5 inch loaf pans.
[2] In a large bowl, combine sugar, pumpkin, oil, water, and eggs. Beat until smooth. Blend in flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt. Fold in chocolate chips and nuts. Fill each loaf pan 1/2 to 3/4 full.
[3] Bake for 1 hour, or until an inserted knife comes out clean (mine took an additional 15 minutes on top of the hour). Cool on wire racks before removing from pans. Wrap 2 of them tightly with foil and place in the freezer.
Linked to Meet Me Monday, Mingle Monday, and Making Friends Monday. Also 
                             Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays, Tuesdays at the Table, and Tasty Tuesday, Fresh Clean
                             and Fun Fridays.

7 comments:

  1. Mmm! Love pumpkin bread, never thought of putting chocolate chips in it. Thanks for sharing!
    Thanks for stopping by and following my blog from Making Friends Monday spotlight! I'm following back. ;)

    Have a great week!
    Jennifer @ http://justpeachyindixie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh My GOSH! I have GOT to try this! Thank you for such a tasty find.

    Popping by from Mingle Monday...please stop by when you have a moment. I just happen to have an ongoing monthly Giveaway Link-up with plenty of goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Sounds delicious! I'm your newest follower from Making Friends Monday!
    http://hearditfromthehills.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. a says we should "totally" make this. :)
    Thanks! New follower!
    ~K
    bigklittlea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm just the opposite - I love all those fall flavors. :) So glad you tried this because it looks delicious. Thanks for sharing! I've got really awesome Shepherd's Pie at my place if you're interested. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha! When I looked at your photo, I thought, "Wow! She's got a lot of chocolate chips in there!" :) This looks really good, but my favorite part is definitely the THREE loaves - that's great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks Delicious, so glad you tried it. I am hosting a pumpkin link up on my blog next monday, hope you'll come join!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails